- AHH, the Olympics!!! As a child/teenager, I was intensely obsessed with the Olympics. I used to keep a notebook keeping track of the medallists for Canada and Japan. I always wanted to participate in the Olympics and win a gold medal, but I could never find a sport for me, until I picked up hockey. By then it was too late and the sheen wore off…yet despite now being an adult (allegedly) and becoming aware of all the ugliness that accompanies the Olympics, I can’t resist being pulled in by the thrilling competition. No matter how crushingly awful CTV’s “I Believe” song is. The drama of the sports speak for themselves. Throwing an asinine ballad on top is major overkill, guys.
- I might actually be more excited about the return of Blur than the Olympics. Their Olympics-closing Hyde Park gig is generating huge hype, in the British press, anyway. I know it’s weird to be excited about a show I’m not even going to, but such is the YouTube age we live in. Anyway, Blur played two brilliant sets at the BBC Maida Vale studios last week, one for 6Music and one for Radio 2. Both fantastic. They played Trimm Trabb! and For Tomorrow! and Beetlebum! Ahh! I live in the wrong country.
- This summer is blowing by. I’m actually kind of excited for fall/winter, though. I want to hunker down and get cozy in our new apartment.
- Back to Blur for a moment, my jaw dropped at the US version of the video for their 1991 single, There’s No Other Way (below). Seriously, how did this not propel them to instant suprstardom in America?? I mean, look at how dreamy Damon is! I’m pretty sure if I saw this on MuchMusic back them, I would’ve fallen in love instantly. I may have been six years old, but still. [/objectification]
I guess Food Records figured that the UK version wouldn’t fly in North America…that bowl cut, oof.
- How good is this season of Breaking Bad? I’m terrified of Walter White. Bryan Cranston is unbelievable. He somehow makes Walter scarier when he’s calm than when he’s raging.
- Heading to Seattle with some old friends this weekend. My first time to the States since high school. Have a great weekend, everyone!