I’ve been a negligent blogger, but I thought I’d check in to share that I’ve managed to catch the Worst Cold Ever this week. Yesterday I ventured out to Solly’s for a motza ball soup dressed like a crazy person (my outfit involved both sweatpants and a leather jacket), only to return home and collapse into a raging fever. The soup was almost worth it, though. But I had to miss a live rendition of This is That …sad face.
I’ve been nursing myself with Downton Abbey (I can’t stop!) and Joe Wright’s Pride & Prejuice. That reminds me, I’m unreasonably excited about the new Anna Karenina film. I don’t care that the reviews out of the UK have been mixed, Joe Wright + Keira Knightley + Jude Law + Kelly Macdonald + Tom Stoppard + costumes + Russia = I’m all over this. Anyway, I’m not deliriously ill anymore, just regular foggy head, achey, runny nose, cough, sweaty, chills…okay, I guess I’m still pretty sick. Elsewhere…
- Just listening to Lindi Ortega’s cover of Ring of Fire on Q. I’d not heard of her before, but she is fantastic. I was expecting a typical country crooner, but she’s much more Mazzy Star than Shania. Love.
- On Wednesday I caught the Animal Collective show at Malkin Bowl. This definitely exacerbated my illness, but I’ll take it. Even though I’d barely listened to their new album, the show was brilliant. Maybe the best I’ve seen this year. I won’t soon forget My Girls ringing out over the trees. Also: surrounded by giddy teenagers, I felt very old.
- Speaking of old, I got an invite to my ten year high school reunion this week (even though it’s not til next year). Disturbing.
- Although I don’t go to as many shows as I used to (see above: old), I’ve gone to some pretty great ones this year. Franz Ferdinand, Hot Chip, and Beirut: all killer. Later this fall I’ll see Sea & Cake and Zammuto.
- OMGTHEWIRE! *ahem* We are completely obsessed with The Wire. After speeding through three seasons, Michael and I decided to take a break and make it last longer. The hype is real. Best show ever. I know I’m soooo late to the party, but I’ve been avoiding it because I didn’t want it to take over my life. Too late.
- Also, I started a tumblr. I just couldn’t resist the temptation of one-click reblogging.